When in Dublin, one must pay a visit to any pubs out there. It is but a mortal sin if you come here just to sleep at night as the city comes alive as soon as the sun sets. The place offers a one-of-a-kind nightlife that so often becomes an envy of other European cities. That’s why an invasion of Irish pubs in many European key cities is one single proof that Dubliners or Irish in general know how to have some fun.
Before we tackle the historical sights, let me just write a few words about the Merry Ploughboy Pub. This is one awesome place that you should not miss out on whenever you are on a business trip or vacation in Dublin. It is perfectly located outside the city that somehow gives you an impression of what an Irish countryside is all about.
As I was reading the history of the place I couldn’t help but laugh at its subtle Irish wit and humor. It has been said that before America won its independence, before the Act of Union between Great Britain and Ireland and even before the French Revolution in 1789, this Public House has served as a gathering place among travelers or farmers who simply would love an after work drink. Today as the name suggests, this public house is a home to the Merry Ploughboys- Dublin’s renowned traditional ballad group.
The 3 -hour song and dance show and over dinner extravaganza was something memorable to a non-Irish like me. It was a night full of revelry, dancing and singing. The House was packed of people from different walks of life and indeed reserve your place before you come here. It is no wonder why this place was awarded as Ireland’s Best Traditional Event! It was just insanely hilarious and even after the show you feel somehow the night was just starting. This is what Dublin is all about! A tease, a place where you know that so-called F-U-N is just lurking behind the corner. So before we go to Dublin’s downtown in search of another action-packed pub, let me tell you first the 10 rules of this Public House. These rules will serve as your introduction to this whole Irish Pub culture and perhaps to your beerful and bellyful life…
The 10 Rules of the Merry Ploughboy Pub…
- Buying some-one a drink is five times better than a handshake.
- If some-one offers to buy you a drink, do not upgrade.
- Persons drinking a pint of Guiness before it has fully settled will be inmmediately barred.
- Anyone on stage or behind the bar is 50% better looking.
- Telling lies is unacceptable, you may however grossy exaggerate.
- If there is ever any confusion, the fuller beer is yours.
- If you hesitate more than 3 seconds after getting the barman’s attention, you do not deserve a drink.
- If you buy a woman a drink and she refuses, she does not like you.
- If you buy a woman a drink and she accepts, she still may not like you.
10. Girls hang out, apply make-up, and have long talks in the bathroom. Men do not!
And before I proceed to my next (favorite) topic which is beer, let me tell you first that Dublin has just been named by Lonely Planet as the top 5 places in the world to celebrate New Year’s Eve. This is a just a proof that this city has so much to offer and what more if you could only stay up through the wee hours of the morning.